Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Titanium Man



This is what it looks like from the outside. This is essentially the same view as the x-rays below. I didn't expect the incision to be that long although if you click on the image and look at it full size you can see that the incision is very narrow and (hopefully) the scar will be very thin. Although, let's face it, I'm no spring chicken and clear unbroken skin is not exactly a hallmark of the average 56 year old man.






This is a picture of two views of the post-operative x-ray. Yikes, I had no idea there'd be so much metal. When the Dr. said he'd put a plate over the fractured bone I pictured something a lot more svelte, perhaps more along the lines of electroplating as opposed to boilerplate.

I wonder what the thing weighs? Supposedly it's titanium and, so far all the anecdotal information I have says that, no, I won't set off the metal detector at the airport. I meant to ask the Dr. about that but it'll have to wait until my next follow-up appt. in a month.

I got my first post injury workout in tonight. I did three miles on my ancient exercise bike. Tomorrow I'm buying a trainer for my mountain bike so I can do some "real" riding. Then the training for next year's Xterra season starts in earnest.

Stay tuned.

The Terrible Triathlete




No comments: